15″ Supergirl Costume (Robe-to-Cape Upcycle)

A couple of weeks ago it was that annual rite of summer for band kids:  MARCHING BAND CAMP WEEK.  If you haven’t been in a marching band . . that means long days in the August heat learning music, learning drills, marching and sweating.  To make things a little more fun this year, each day had a theme, rather like Homecoming.  Day #4 happened to be “Superhero Day”.

We’d been on vacation the week before, so hadn’t planned ahead. (Would we have anyway?  LOL).  So down to the basement for inspiration we tromped.

We found a red & silver cheer skirt, and part of an Uncle Sam outfit.  To that we added some red boot-looking spats (have I mentioned I am a sucker for “cool stuff” at thrift stores?), and blue tights.  My daughter printed out a Supergirl motif off and “laminated” it with packing tape and pinned it to the top.

11900058_10207937486781531_4077014982842428631_n

But . . .we needed a red cape.

I happened to have a red robe.  I had been envisioning a Regency adaptation . . .

11885245_10207937465340995_5008108839014553390_n

See where I was going there?  But, sacrifices had to be made in the name of “Superhero Day”.

15″ Robe-to-Cape Upcycle

The first thing I did was to sew the sleeves closed.  I carefully lined them up, and sewed the arm hole shut.  Then I cut them off.  This is a non-fraying fabric so I did not need to worry about finishing any of the raw edges.

11951798_10207937464420972_7401116455162075088_n 11880605_10207937464580976_5462571420419778976_n

This changed the shape of the back nicely.

11892174_10207937465100989_1554143604074278780_n

Then I sewed the pockets shut, and cut them off.

11898926_10207937464780981_6994865117776772908_n

At this point, I wasn’t exactly happy with the shape of the back, so I took a little more fabric out of the sleeve/shoulder area.

11902589_10207937464260968_3256922036225912981_nNow it looked better in the back.

11898828_10207937463780956_7220754992475958724_n

I then cut the ties off (the robe closed with a front wrap, so it had two self-fabric ties to hold it shut).  I messed with the shoulder/neck area until I liked it, and pinned the ties down, and tacked them on with a bar zig-zag.

11953004_10207937463540950_8585007537916108590_n

Ta Dah!  The cape is done.  Honestly, this took about 15″ from start to finish.

11953017_10207937463980961_1452696491792547378_n

Finished costume in use:

11813373_10206041633534865_4715661945031190788_n 11822675_10206041636854948_8654167028127931587_n

She tied for first place with Batman!  This really is a wonderfully flowy cape.  It also has just enough shape over the shoulders to help keep it in place and help keep it from sliding backwards so it is just hanging around your neck and choking you as you wear it.

Cost:  Robe: 25 cents.

I think the skirt was $3.88 (but she had already worn it last fall for “Holiday Day” during Homecoming in a 4th of July outfit), boot spats $1.88, Uncle Sam Jacket & romper $4ish (After Halloween mark down at a consignment store), plus tights.

One thought on “15″ Supergirl Costume (Robe-to-Cape Upcycle)

  1. Pingback: Upcycle: The Evil Queen from Snow White | costumecrazed

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s