My second dress for the wedding was amazingly quick and easy.
I began with a pale tan sheath-style dress, with an almost-corset look top.
I took a pair of lace curtains and stitched them together. I measured the skirt length, and folded the top edge of the curtains over at that length. I ran a row of basting to keep this fold in place. Then, I squish gathered the lace curtains to the lining (under the edge of the bodice).
I added some picot edged cluny lace along the front bodice seams, and threaded 1/4″ organza ribbon through the picots.
A couple of lace sleeves later .. . and the dress was done.
The sleeves have a casing for elastic at the bottom.
I like the picot edged lace as a base for mock corset lacing. I totally ignored that little train thing in the back as it is covered up.
Cost: Dress $2, curtains & lace: donated
I think this is the shortest post I have ever written!
So . . when the cast member actually started wearing this dress, the arms were really tight. I think the original dress was designed to be worn off-the-shoulder. And, in retrospect, looking at how the band pulled in the back, that probably makes sense. This was a fairly easy fix. I opened the bottom of the underarms, and opened the bodice side seam about 2″. I “un-gathered” the lace sleeve and stitched it back together.