Capes for the Stepfamily: Cinderella

What would YOU wear to cover your ball gown when going to the ball?  Well, a voluminous, flowy cape of course!

Knowing it would take a TON of fabric to make a floor length cape to cover a ball gown, and having a real dislike of doing more work than I need to . . . I set out on an internet search for tablecloths.  Tablecloths are really my new love.  I have a TON of ideas of how to use them for making costumes.  But today, I am making capes.  Well . . .actually my Mom made the capes . . but I came up with the idea, lol.  I get credit for SOMETHING.

I found 132″ diameter round pintuck satin tablecloths for $17.99 at bbcrafts.  I chose light pink, hot pink and maroon for Madame, Gabrielle and Charlotte.

three capes

I picked 132″diameter tablecloths because I wanted the capes to be floor length.  Dividing the diameter in half gave me 66″ (or 5.5′) to the center of the cloth.  Based on the height of my cast members, I knew this would work pretty well.

The tablecloths arrived in all their anticipated glory.  The best part about them is the edges are already finished!

To make the cape, we used the nape-to-floor  and neck measurements that we had taken during fittings.  The nape-to-floor length was how long we wanted the front opening to be.  The back isn’t so picky–it can flow and drag on the floor a bit if need be.  If you had someone with a nape-to-floor measurement longer than 66″, you would want to make the neck hole in the direct center so the cape wasn’t shorter in the back than the front.  Probably the most important thing it to make sure the tablecloth is carefully folded so that the neck opening ends up along the midline, so that the sides are even.

17211942_10212792441392362_5908642083404720769_o

line for neck hole on the cape

Once you know where you want the front opening, you will want to mark that on the tablecloth and carefully slit the fabric to that point.  Next you will need a hole for the neck.  There needs to be a bit of gathering at the neck to help the cape ease over the shoulders.  How much is personal choice–just remember that it is really easy to cut the center hole too big.  I would suggest starting small–you can always cut it larger.  Another idea would be to make a sample “pattern” using some trash fabric or an old sheet.  Make sure to make the hole is a circle.  It seems to make sense to make an oval because of the shape of a persons shoulders, but that pulls the sides up (you can see this on the pale pink cape in the last picture).

cape spread out

I wanted the capes to have a collar.  I thought “fur” would have a rich look.  I had found a curtain with some swirly rosette velour trim and that seemed to fit my vision.

The inside of the collar was finished with bias tape.   You can see the neck is gently gathered .

bias tape to finish the inside of the cape

 

After our first rehearsal, I tacked the collars down in the back so that it was easier to tell the right side from the wrong side.  You can see the short line of white stitching above the neck opening.

Neck line of cape.  Note collar is stitched down in one place.

 

The capes close with a button tab made from the discarded neck opening fabric. We decided against velcro because it makes a horrible sound that is picked up by the face mics.  A cape can close with velcro if it will be opened off stage after the mic is turned off.

cape front, button tab to close

They looked awesome on stage and the girls loved them.  I doubt anyone would guess they were wearing tablecloths!

flowing and voluminous capes

out the door to the ballCost:  $17.99 plus s/h for each cape, one $2.59 curtain panel between the thee of them for the white trim.  Button donated.

The capes were wonderfully flowy and fun.  I appreciated the pintucking for some added visual interest.

Thanks to my Mom for taking on this sewing project!

This one shows how the pale pink one pulled up a bit in the front due to the oval neckline.  Sharing our mistakes so you won’t have to make them!

IMG_9555

You can see the pale pink one pulls up due to the oval shape of the neckline. On stage its wasn’t a big deal, but, something to make notice for the future

4 thoughts on “Capes for the Stepfamily: Cinderella

  1. Pingback: Dressing “Charlotte”: Cinderella (Broadway Version) | costumecrazed

  2. Pingback: “Cinderella” (Broadway Version): Dressing Ella, Part 5 (Capes) | costumecrazed

  3. Pingback: Dressing “Gabrielle” (Cinderella): Ball Gown | costumecrazed

  4. Pingback: Wedding Wear for Madame (and the rest of her costumes, too) (Cinderella: Broadway Version) | costumecrazed

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s